Potato and Asparagus Salad (with some Celery)

Potato Salad is the taste of my childhood. Along with Sara Lee Gateau and Twiglets, I could devour a huge bowl of Potato Salad on my own, snarling at anyone who dares to wave so much as a teaspoon near MY bowl.
Let's elaborate here. I am an only child. I was not indulged in the same way as Edward from the Count of Monte Cristo ("Oh, it amuses me!"), far from it, but when my favourite food was available in the house, I got to eat the lion's share of it. There was no bickering at the table over who got the last sausage or pancake. I kind of wish there had been though.
This expectance of my favourite foods being mine all the time started to become challenged at that most heinous of things "the family get-together" when I then have to vie with the other potato lover of the family, my grandmother. And she lived through the war. And three children. She doesn't mess around when it comes to getting her potatoes. And as she survived all these things she does not see why she should share potatoes. Why, they are her hard-earned right.
I see fireworks in our future.
Skulking up to my bedroom with my tiny (mixing bowl sized) portion of potato salad, I put Blonde on Blonde on my super-duper stacking midi-system record player (what no CD player??) and sink into a foot-tapping sulk.
Even today I am reluctant to share MY food. I will cook for you, piles and piles of food. That is your food. This small (mixing bowl sized) portion of Potato Salad is for ME. Hence, this recipe for a Potato and Asparagus Salad (with some Celery) is enough to serve me, or four non-possessive Potato Salad eaters.

Potato and Asparagus Salad (with some Celery)
750g Jersey Royal (or any small salad) Potatos, boiled and cooled
Bunch Asparagus, boiled for a couple of minutes so that they still retain texture, not mush
1 stick Celery, finely chopped
¼ cup Olive Oil
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
Juice and Zest from 1 Lemon
2 tbsp finely chopped Chives
Salt and Pepper

Slice the potatoes in half. Chop the asparagus into thirds. Place in a small (mixing bowl sized) bowl, along with the celery and chives.
Whisk the Olive Oil, Mustard, Lemon and zest in a jug and pour over the vegetables. Mix thoroughly but gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I like to chill it in the fridge but very rarely can wait. However, all the flavours will amalgate better if you let it sit for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to get feedback! Thanks for your comments you guys!!