Peanut Butter Cookies


Sometimes only a treat from childhood will do. Peanut Butter is the one smell, texture and flavour that reminds me of being a kid. I remember white plastic bread smeared together with peanut butter, I remember our breaths smelling of it as we raced around the playground. I remember laughing at friends who's parents stuffed celery with it and being grossed out and then in love with peanut butter combined with strawberry jam. The first time I ever tried Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, bought at a local American airbase by friend with American family. I had to wait another 12 years before I would taste anything this Childhood Favourite again!

For a while, when I first became vegan, I felt sure that I would never taste a peanut butter cookie again. They are a buttery, more grown up cookie, tinged with the taste of peanut butter, sophisticated, but just as good made into a strawberry jam cookie sandwich. 
My latest book acquisition was The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. It was hard to choose which of her luscious recipes to make first so I asked Paul and, as a fellow peanut butter nut (ha!), this was what he chose.
The recipe is simple, switching out the eggs for egg replacer, non-dairy milk and vegan spread instead of butter. And let me tell you something: these cookies are just as buttery and sophisticated and asking to be dipped in a glass of milk or sandwiched with jam as their dairy counterparts: and no nasty aftertaste.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Ingredients:
220g Plain Flour
3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
3/4 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Egg Replacer, whisked up with 2tbsp water
280g Soft Brown Sugar
195g Crunchy Peanut Butter
112g Soft Vegan Butter/Spread (I use Pure)
3 Tbsp non-dairy Milk
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
90g Vegan Chocolate Chips (optional)

Method:
Preheat Oven to 190c.
Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, spread, milk and peanut butter until smooth.
Beat in the egg replacer.
Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips, mix until thoroughly combined.
Using a tablespoon measuring spoon drop spoonfuls of mixture, 2 inches apart, on the baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until just turning golden.

Try to let cool on a cooling rack. Good luck!
And enjoy!










2 comments:

  1. Love the detail of your images, such depth and texture. Makes your taste buds go mad instantly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole's Chatter is all about favourite foods from childhood. I do hope you link this lovely one in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get feedback! Thanks for your comments you guys!!